You're blessed with good oral health, but some teeth in the front of your mouth spoil your smile. At Botts Dental Spa in Collierville, TN, your dentist, Dr. Jason Botts, remakes flawed teeth with care plans customized to patient need and preference. Porcelain veneers often play a role in smile makeovers. Shells of ultra-thin porcelain, veneers camouflage defects, dramatically improving smile aesthetics.
What are porcelain veneers?
Also referred to as dental laminates, porcelain veneers from your Collierville, TN, dentist artistically improve the shape and color of selected teeth. Veneers are permanently cemented in place and add a substantial measure of resiliency to tooth structure. Plus, they erase those bothersome gaps, crowding, craze lines, surface pits, deep stains, fractures, and chips which detract from your smile.
To place veneers, Dr. Botts contours the front of each tooth so you bite properly and your smile does not feel bulky. X-rays, photos impressions, and wax mock-ups tell Dr. Bott how best to reshape your teeth, and as you wait for your veneers to come in from the dental lab, you'll wear temporary laminates.
At the next appointment at Botts Dental Spa, Dr. Botts removes the temporary laminates, adds an etching liquid and tooth-colored cement, and places the veneers. A special UV light activates a hardening chemical in the cement, creating a permanent, inseparable bond between the tooth and the laminate. Count on accurate fit and bite because Dr. Botts truly is a master at cosmetic dentistry services.
Caring for your new smile
Porcelain veneers last for ten years or more, states the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. They are intrinsically durable and stain resistant.
However, as the patient, you must do your part to preserve the integrity of your veneers. Care involves:
- Brushing gently, but thoroughly, twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste of your choice (avoid whitening ingredients) and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss every day to remove food residues (plaque) from your veneer margins.
- Limit alcohol as it degrades the veneer cement.
- Restrict your consumption of hard foods such as peanut brittle. Don't chew ice. Don't bite your fingernails or chew your pencil top.
- See Dr. Botts semi-annually for an oral examination and a professional cleaning. Your dentist will check the position and condition of your veneers, looking for any chips, cracks or looseness.
A new smile
It's a phone call away. Learn more about porcelain veneers and the other cosmetic dentistry services at Botts Dental Spa in Collierville, TN. Our number is (901) 737-2200.