Dentures are an economically friendly way to treat tooth loss. Just ask your Cordova, Collierville, and Eastern Memphis, TN, dentist!
Here are some FAQs
What are dentures?
It's a removable dental appliance for missing teeth and adjacent tissues that's made of acrylic resin and, sometimes, a combination of metals. Dentures improve chewing and bite functions, improve speech, restore your smile, and provide facial muscle support.
What types of dentures are there?
- Complete dentures, also called "conventional" or "immediate" dentures, replace all teeth.
- Overdenture, a removable denture, that fits over natural teeth or implants.
- Removable partial dentures attach to natural teeth using nearly invisible metal clasps.
How are dentures made?
The whole process takes about one month:
- An initial diagnosis is made
- An impression of your jaw position and vertical dimensions is taken.
- A sample denture is made to ensure proper color, shape, and fit.
- The final denture is placed.
How do you care for your dentures?
Make sure you immerse dentures in soaking solutions to avoid dentures losing their shape. The American Dental Association advises you use denture cleaners when brushing dentures to remove food buildup to avoid plaque buildup. Hand soap or mild dishwashing liquid can also be used to clean dentures.
When placing them into your mouth, stand over a towel or a sink of water just in case you accidentally drop it. Also, don't forget to maintain a healthy dental regimen by brushing natural teeth, gums, tongue, and palate.
What are some common concerns?
You'll need to take your time practicing eating, so start by cutting food into small pieces and chew slowly using both sides of your mouth. Avoid eating or biting into food that's too hot, hard and sharp-edged.
For more information on dentures, contact Botts Dental Spa in Cordova, Collierville, and Eastern Memphis area by calling (901) 737-2200 today!